The Runescape player Ker Laeda have been so nice(and patient) to help me test the client through a repository and to come with input to necessary changes.
You can find his AUR package for Arch Linux at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=59362
If you are interested in making a package of the client this is what you need to know:
- The user needs the minimum dependencies (p7zip-full, wget, xterm, perl and a java runtime like openjdk6 or above)
- The optional dependencies are(ubuntu package names used): wine, pulseaudio-utils, alsa-oss
- The client can be run from anywhere the user have write access to! However for system installs please put/dump the client folder to /opt
and then symlink /opt/runescape/runescape and /opt/runescape/update-runescape-client to /usr/bin
You need to make the .desktop files self, the install-desktop-icons script is designed for users without admin permissions!
- Updating the scripts when installed inside /opt can only be done by running /opt/runescape/update-scripts as root(by using su or sudo)
This is because it is actually the package maintainers responsibility to update the package(update-scripts can be used as an override though in case of slow maintainers :P ).
- When installed to /opt the client will use ~/.config/runescape as the client directory where settings.conf, runescape.prm and jagexappletviewer.jar will be located.
- If you do not want to have compability mode support (run client through wine) then you can safely remove the win32 folder!
- If you do not want support for the user to have his/her own local user client then you can safely remove "install-desktop-icons" and the templates folder.
Here is the changelog:
#### Version 3.1 ####
* Prepared the client for distribution through repositories
(make it aware of being run from read only locations)
Please note that IF you are doing to make a repository for this client.
It should be installed to /opt and then
/opt/runescape/runescape and /opt/runescape/update-runescape-client
should be symlinked to /usr/bin
Images from the clients share folder should then be symlinked to
/usr/share/pixmaps or /usr/share/icons
* update-runescape-client will not give the option to update scripts
when installed on /opt, in order to update the scripts you have 2 options
1. copy the runescape folder from /opt and into a location where your user
have write permissions by default.
2. or you can run /opt/runescape/update-scripts as root (not recommended!)
* If the client is installed to /opt it will use ~/.config/runescape
as the client folder, meaning you can still update jagexappletviewer.jar
from jagex without waiting for the package maintainer!
* Improved the unix_findlibrarypath function (BIG THANKS TO Jmb71 FOR THE NEW REGEX!)
* AUR package will be released in the very near future (BIG THANKS TO Ker Laeda FOR THAT!)
as i do not have Arc Linux, Ker Laeda have helped me a lot with the testing and preparations
for the client to be distributed from a repository
* Documentation.txt will be discontinued and the script themselves will
contain the documentation in the comments instead
(however the file will still exist just to mention the sourcefiles are the documentation themselves)
#### Version 3.0 ####
* Thanks to Paul who reported to me that the client would not work
if preferredjava was set to default-java and the java executable in
$PATH was a script(or symlinked script) instead of a symlinked binary
this would cause ldd to fail on what was supposed to be the binary and
make the OpenGL fix not work or make the client fail to launch alltogether.
A workaround for this have been made for systems that are affected (namely gentoo and sabayon)
in which a message will be displayed and show the user how to set the client
to use a custom java binary, this will solve this issue on these affected systems.
This message will ONLY be triggered if preferredjava is not set or is set to default-java!
* Updated settings.conf.example with a custom java path example :)